Patient with psychiatric diagnoses with severe symptoms or acute precipitating event, with insufficient protective factors.
Examples of high risk, active suicidal ideation
- Psychiatric diagnoses with severe symptoms
- Or acute precipitating event
- Active intent
- Has lethal means of harming self, e.g. firearms, toxic medications, etc.
- Unable to contract for safety, i.e. patient is unable to agree to tell someone else if suicidal ideation worsens
- Potentially lethal suicide attempt or persistent ideation with strong intent or suicide rehearsal.
- Protective factors not relevant
Consider the following
Contact the psychiatrist on-call at your local hospital
- Consider sending to your local hospital
- Consider sending to your local Schedule 1 facility for emergent assessment
- Complete a Form 1 (Application by Physician for Psychiatric Assessment)
- Information about Form 2
- Consider contacting Psychiatrist On-Call at local schedule 1 hospital such as:
In acute emergency, call 911
To contact Ottawa police about Form 1 call 613-230-6211
May be instructed to fax Form 1 to CPIC at 613-760-8007